Re: What am I missing without mutt?

Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> writes:

>   Some cons that annoy me frequently:
>
>     * Stack-based interface: mutt's interface is organized around
>       doing a task which may have sub-tasks, and once you're in a
>       sub-task you can't get back to the main one without "quitting".
>       So you can't refer back to a mailbox while composing a message,
>       unless you add the message onto the postponed list and pull it
>       back off when you're ready.
>
>       Running several instances of mutt in different xterms can
>       alleviate this somewhat, at the cost of possibly de-syncing
>       the instances if you aren't careful.

I remember having a similar experience to this when using Mutt.  The way
I handled was via emacs, my chosen editor.  I would open my mbox in
another buffer, and then search out the message I wanted to see.  I
could then switch from one buffer to another, and of course kill and
yank between them, which was mostly what I had wanted.  Of course, this
was a bit ugly as the file was sometimes quite long and had to be
searched through a bit for what I wanted.  Eventually I switched to Gnus
which made this issue irrelevant, since it uses multiple buffers for
messages already.  But I did, and do, miss the Mutt config though, as my
.gnus just scares the crap out of me.

Patrick