Re: How to specify a different apt archive directory

Quoth Douglas A. Tutty:
> On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 12:42:06AM -0800, Ravi wrote:
> > Normally the packages downloaded by apt are copied to /var/cache/apt/
> > archives/ . But I am low on disk space for root partition. How can I
> > ask apt to download those files to another directory and use then from
> > there for later use also.
> >

> Where do you have space?
>
> This is a good reason why /var/ shouldn't be on the / partition.
> Especially /var/cache (and /var/spool).

Another reason to put /var on a seperate partition is filesystem fragmentation -
in Gentoo or FreeBSD, this can get really troublesome, because the compiles will
totally _hose_ your fs if / or even /home are not on another partition - but
even with apt's cache and all the things usually going on in /var (like
logfiles, temporary files...), things can get messy enough. /var always needs
its own partition, otherwise you'll see severe performance drawbacks...

in Ravi's case, I would just back up everything and then re-partition correctly,
or use LVM.

just my 2c...

Aleks