Re: Switching from ipw3945 to iwl3945 driver]

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 10:13:56PM +0000, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you do not own any hardware with Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wifi
> cards, you can stop reading now.
>
> The 2.6.24 kernel has recently hit unstable, and it contains a new
> shiny iwl3945 driver which should replace the old ipw3945 one. The
> good news is that you will no longer need to run the ipw3945d binary
> daemon, the bad news is that binary firmware is still required (but it
> is available as a package). The plan is to remove ipw3945-modules-*
> and ipw3945d packages from the archive as soon as 2.6.24 kernel hits
> testing. Because of that, everyone running unstable and using ipw3945
> is encouraged to switch to using 2.6.24 and iwl3945 driver as soon as
> possible. The switching instructions are available at
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi
>
> I've only tested this procedure myself, so feel free to contribute
> additional information to the wiki page, and reply to this thread if
> you encounter any problems (cc me in this case, as I'm not on d-u).

I just went through this nightmare yesterday. There are a couple of
critical things that people need to know. These are things that I
encountered that took a while to figure out because they aren't
obvious. Note that I use a customized combination of scripts to
configure my wireless for different locations. I don't use any of the
whizz-bang gui methods...

1) you cannot iwlist <interface> scan unless you bring the interface
up first. You can bring the interface up without any parameters, do a
scan, search the results and then process accordingly.

2) some of the iwconfig settings (particularly "mode" and maybe
others) require the interface to be *down* before you can set them. So
in my case where I scan for available access points and then set mode
and ssid etc accordingly I have to up the interface, scan, down the
interface, set some stuff, up the interface again to set more stuff
and then pass it back to ifup to let it finish configuring the
interface. It's kind of a pain, but it seems to work.

3) you need to delete previous references to your card from
/etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules file and let it be
recreated.

4) it appears that WEP doesn't work for ad-hoc networks :(

my .02