Re: Create custom package

On 2008-01-31 15:25 +0100, Kunszt Árpád wrote:

> I want to create an "alternate" package for libmysqlclient15off. It
> means I tried to create an dvrt-libmysqlclient15off package which can
> replace the libmysqlclient15off package in the dependency checks. The
> control files relevant part is now:
>
> Package: dvrt-libmysqlclient15off
> Section: libs
> Architecture: any
> Depends: dvrt-mysql-common (>= ${Source-Version}), ${shlibs:Depends}
> Conflicts: libmysqlclient15, libmysqlclient15off
> Replaces: libmysqlclient15, libmysqlclient15off
>  MySQL is a fast, stable and true multi-user, multi-threaded SQL database
>  server. SQL (Structured Query Language) is the most popular database query
>  language in the world. The main goals of MySQL are speed, robustness and
>  ease of use.
>  .
>  This package includes the client library.
> Provides: libmysqlclient15off
>
> But when I try to install a package which depends on
> libmysqlclient15off, I get error like this:
>
> server01-vz16:~/packages/mysql/5.0/work/mysql-dfsg-5.0-5.0.32# apt-get
> install libdbd-mysql-perl dvrt-libmysqlclient15off
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>   libdbd-mysql-perl: Depends: libmysqlclient15off (>= 5.0.24-2)
> E: Broken packages
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Nothing, basically.  The bad news is that dpkg does currently not allow
versioned `Provides'; see http://bugs.debian.org/24934 and its
relatives.  Until that is resolved¹, you're simply out of luck. :-(

> PS: Sorry for my English.

No need for that, your English seems OK to me (though I'm not a native
speaker myself).

> PPS: Changing just the version number of the package and leave it's name
> is not an option now.

Then you probably have to implement versioned `Provides' in dpkg.

Sven

¹ Given that the bug is only at `wishlist' severity and dpkg has a
  plethora of other open bugs, this will probably not happen any time
  soon, if at all.