Re: low-MHz server

* Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> [080130 20:49]:
> Hello,
>
> I have an unusual situation and problem at which I've been chipping
> away.  The base technology predates my IT experience.
>
> My wife is sensitive to what she describes as electromagnetic fields.
> She gets headaches and other pains when exposed to equipment: the higher
> the frequency, the worse her symptoms.  For example, a VT is better than
> a regular CRT connected to even a P-II-233 MHZ while a 486DX4-100 is
> better than the P-II.  Both are far better than my Athlon64 @3.5 GHz.
> And any CRT is better than any LCD/plasma screen.  Even my Palm Zire (I
> think 233 MHz) with its ~2"x~3" screen is unsuitable within about 30
> feet of her.  She can't wear a digital watch.

You might consider shielding, in the form of wire mesh (window screen,
"hardware cloth", chicken wire, etc.) which is connected to the
chassis ground of the computer.  The largest dimension of the openings
of the mesh need to be about an order of magnitude (that is, a factor
of ten) smaller than the wavelength of the electromagnetic signals.

You could use a large shielded enclosure to isolate your computer room
from the rest of the house, and a smaller, table-top enclosure to
shield a local CRT or LCD monitor.

One of the best approaches would be to enlist the assistance of a
local amateur radio operator, who likely would offer assistance free
of charge, and be happy for the opportunity to help.  Write (or email)
the Amateur Radio Relay League (ARRL) in Newington, Connecticut;
describe your problem, and ask them for a referral.

RLH