Re: Help with suspend/hibernate in Gnome Power Manager

Hi

Murphy strikes again, it seems. Just as I had posted the message below, I found another thing on google, which led me to the solution: I wasn't a member of the powerdev group. Gnome Power Manager shows the Suspend and Hibernate entries anyway, but doesn't do anything if the logged in user is not a member of the powerdev group.

It works now.

Next thing is to let the battery drain and see if it hibernates automatically in time.

René

René Seindal wrote:
Hi,

I have bought a Zepto Znote 3215W laptop and installed Debian testing.
The report on that is here:
http://linux.seindal.dk/2008/01/28/zepto-znote-3215w-with-debian-testinglenny/

I have an issue with suspend and hibernate that I haven't been able to
resolve alone.

The pm-hibernate script works out of the box from the command line as
root. The system resumes correctly.

The pm-suspend script works with the --force flag, again out of the box
from the command line as root. The laptop isn't listed in the database
of s2ram, but it works nonetheless. That was easily solved with a file
in /etc/pm/config.d/s2ram with the line:

S2RAM_OPTS=--force

Again, the system resumes correctly.

As such, suspend and hibernate works, only it doesn't when activated
through Gnome Power Manager

If I try to suspend though the context menu of the applet, I immediately
get a dialog with the text:

    Sleep Problem
    Your computer failed to suspend.
    Check the help file for common problems.

This happens so fast that no attempt at suspending can be made.

The website linked hasn't helped me find a solution.

To get HAL to recognise the laptop I have made a file
/usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/20-video-quirk-pm-zepto.fdi
 with this content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="system.hardware.vendor" prefix="ZEPTO">
      <match key="system.hardware.product" string="ZNOTE">
             <merge key="power_management.quirk.none"
type="bool">true</merge>
      </match>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

and restarted HAL. That should, as far as I have understood, whitelist
the laptop in HAL.  After a restart of HAL I get this:

# lshal | grep quirk
  power_management.quirk.none = true  (bool)
#

so HAL should have picked up my entry. I tried adding dpms_on too, without any difference. Suspend/resume works with that option too.

At this point I haven't found anything else to try. It seems that Gnome
Power Manager simply won't recognise my laptop.

The quirk-checker script isn't much of a help:

# sh  ~rene/Download/quirk-checker.sh
Checking your system...
Suspend should work!

Thanks!

I've been through the check list on the site, and get smilies all the
way down.

Looking further into what HAL thinks:

# lshal | egrep -i power.?management
info.interfaces = {'org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement', 'org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.CPUFreq'} (string list) org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.method_argnames = {'num_seconds_to_sleep', 'num_seconds_to_sleep', '', '', '', 'enable_power_save'} (string list) org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.method_execpaths = {'hal-system-power-suspend', 'hal-system-power-suspend-hybrid', 'hal-system-power-hibernate', 'hal-system-power-shutdown', 'hal-system-power-reboot', 'hal-system-power-set-power-save'} (string list) org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.method_names = {'Suspend', 'SuspendHybrid', 'Hibernate', 'Shutdown', 'Reboot', 'SetPowerSave'} (string list) org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.method_signatures = {'i', 'i', '', '', '', 'b'} (string list)
  power_management.acpi.linux.version = '20070126'  (string)
  power_management.can_hibernate = true  (bool)
  power_management.can_suspend = true  (bool)
  power_management.can_suspend_hybrid = true  (bool)
  power_management.can_suspend_to_disk = true  (bool)
  power_management.can_suspend_to_ram = true  (bool)
  power_management.is_powersave_set = false  (bool)
  power_management.quirk.dpms_on = true  (bool)
  power_management.quirk.none = true  (bool)
  power_management.type = 'acpi'  (string)

I don't know how to move on from here. I'm quite sure the power manager applet doesn't even try to run the pm-suspend script, it just decides that it won't for some reason.

Help much appreciated.

--
René Seindal (rene@seindal.dk)