Re: Question about - apt-get upgrade

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 08:45:01PM +0100, Robert Cates wrote:
> I've got a general question concerning apt-get - what would be the reason(s)
> for the below message when I upgrade my packages?  Do I need to do an
> apt-get upgrade again at a later time, or is there something I need to do
> right away to get it to install?  I somehow was wondering if it's because
> the package maintainer does not have the package quite ready for an upgrade.
>

> The following packages have been kept back:
>
>   linux-image-2.6-686

`apt-get upgrade` will only upgrade packages which can be updated
without requiring changes to any other packages.  The most likely case
is that something depends on the current version of your kernel package
(or conflicts with the new version) and would also need to be upgraded
along with the kernel in order to resolve this.

You can instead use `apt-get dist-upgrade` if you want all such cases to
be handled automatically.

Another possibility is that the kernel image may have been placed on
hold, in which case it will be kept back from all upgrades (and
dist-upgrades) unless explicitly requested with `apt-get install
linux-image-2.6-686`.

--
I reckon we are now the only monastry ever that had a dungeon stuffed with
sixteen thousand zombies.