Sata controller order

Hello,
I have a problem with 4.0r2 (although it is probably not exclusive to
that release)

On a number of systems with multiple sata controllers the controllers
come up in different orders (randomly on boot) the order is always the
same in lilo but gets changed sometimes by the time the kernel loads.
This has the effect of juggling the drives so mount does not work.

I have seen this problem in a number of places on the net, the usual
solution posted is to mount by label rather than by drive.

This is possible for EXT2/EXT3 but it is not possile AFAIKS for swap.
Also the reason these systems have multiple sata controllers is that
they have a raid partition. So also I am not sure how the md device
would handle having its disks moved around.

Is there some way to force a particular controller, and hence disk,
ordering on the kernel ?

For the moment, if these systems have to be shutdown. On reboot if the
order is wrong we get dumped to ramfs then we just ctrl-alt-delete
repeatedly until the order comes right and the system boots.

I can not understand why the order would be random.

I am using irqpoll kernel flag to boot these systems, otherwise we get
sda lost interrupt, not sure if that is relevant.

TVMIA

Stuart