Re: Strange network problem

On Jan 29, 2008 12:26 PM, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 08:48:28 +1100
> hce <webmail.hce@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I bought a new ADSL2+ modem and connected to my debian PC. I used DHCP
> > to get IP address, I can ping www.google.com or any domain name, but
> > my browser could not see www.google.com or any web site. Any
> > explanations of why I could ping www.google.com (which means the DNS
> > and route worked fine), but the brower could not download web pages
> > (browser does not any problem if using other network connections)?
> > I've disabled all firewall and service block in the ADSL modem. My
> > debian system does not have any problem if connects to other network.
> > Could it be the modem problem?
>
> Have you tried more than one browser?  What about other protocols, such
> as telnet, ssh, SMTP/POP/IMAP?

I tried lynx, it did display with www.google.com and other web pages,
but I have never played with lynx before, not sure it worked fine or
not.

The mail had problem as well, it could not connect to gmail pop server
in most time, but I could ping that. The mail did connecte to pop
gmail server sometime. The other thing I have to mention that ping
time was about 200ms - 800ms, not sure that would cause the brower and
mail problem or not?

Thank you.

Jim