Re: Looking for howto/info about raid (5 and 6)

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 09:34:24PM +0100, Pol Hallen wrote:

> I looking for howto/infos about raid software 5 and 6 :-)

The RAID-HOWTO (and others): package doc-linux-html (just get the
language you need).

Try wikipedia.

> Now I've 6 disks on controller of mb and 4 on pci controller.
>
> If I'll change the controller with other (not same) can I've any problems?

This is one of the big problems with hardware raid.  It is controller
dependant.  If the controller is on the MB and it dies, you need a new
MB not just a new controller.

With a separate controller, in addition to having a spare disk around,
you should have a spare identical controller, tested to know that it
works but otherwise sitting on a shelf somewhere secure.

AFAIK, to move a raid array from one controller to another, you have to
make a backup, disassemble the array, reassemble a new array on the new
controller, and restore from backup.

With software raid, you just have to stick with the same OS (and I
suppose the same hardware type, although I'm not sure).

> How raid known which disks are raid if linux change the address of /sd*?

If its hardware raid, the raid controller presents a device that looks
like a single disk drive to the OS and has the same renaming problems,
solved with LABELs in the filesystems, kernel command line, and fstab,
as appropriate.

Doug.