Re: random mouse hangs

michael wrote:

On 28 Jan 2008, at 22:37, David Palmer wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:20:37 -0500
Tom Vier <tmv@comcast.net> wrote:

I'm running etch on amd64. The last few weeks, my mouse would stop
responding for a few seconds. I switched to another mouse - same thing. Now i have to unplug (it's usb) and plug it back in to get the pointer to move again. I've tried 3 different usb ports. Keyboard works fine the whole time. It seems like a software problem, but it's not happening on my home machine
(also running etch on amd64).

It looks like a config problem, which happens with usb mice.
Are there any other aspects?
Is gpm involved?

Two ways to fix it:

Adjust config of xserver-xorg;
Install gpm, which isn't a bad idea anyway, and the config of that gives comprehensive treatment of usb mice.
Regards,

I had a intermittent USB mouse/keyboard non-responding prob and it turned out to be due to me allowing the BIOS to overclock my AMD64 chip....

Less likely, but also.
Perhaps we could get the 'usual' sources out of the way first, before we need to dig any deeper.
Regards,

David Palmer.