Re: upgrading X in sid

On Jan 28, 2008 6:29 AM, charlie derr <cderr@simons-rock.edu> wrote:
> I have a laptop with a native resolution of 1900x1200 which has been working fine for the past year an a half.
>
> This weekend I upgraded (which included both X and kde) in unstable/sid and now I find that my X session is being rendered
> (according to xvidtune) at 1680x1050
>
> What's odd is that the relevant section from  /etc/X11/xorg.conf (pasted below) wouldn't seem to allow that.
>
> Anyone know what's going on?   The only explanation that makes sense to me is that Xorg now directly queries the graphics
> subsystem and essentially ignores what's been set in xorg.conf.  I'm definitely interested in knowing how to get back the full
> 1900x1200 resolution.

Here is what part of my xorg.conf looks like:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "G90f-2"
        Option          "DPMS"
        Option          "PreferredMode"         "1600x1200"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "ATI RV350 AS [Radeon 9550]"
        Monitor         "G90f-2"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                #Modes          "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

As you can see the "modes" are commented out, and monitor
has a "preferredmode". Unfortunately I don't remember what
blog post pointed me in this direction and I don't know what
variant methods might work, if this particular setup do the job.

Hopefully this will be of some help.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers