Re: Brief question as to the Linux kernel in use in the Stable version of Etch

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 12:51:15AM -0500, dick thompson wrote:
> I have looked all through the info and the best I can find is that Etch
> uses version 2.6.18 of the Linux kernel.  Since the stable version was
> put out there in the early part of Jan 2008, that seems like a very old
> version to be releasing.  Am I right that this is the version in use?
> If so that does not support my ethernet connection and I will have to
> look elsewhere for a Linux to use.
>
> My ethernet adapter is an ATTANSIC Gigabyte L1 (also released since the
> takeover of ATTANSIC by ATHEROS as the ATHEROS Gigabyte L1.  From what I
> have been able to find out the earliest kernel supporting this adapter
> is the 2.6.22.  That is the reason I am asking as I would like to take a
> good look at Debian but if I can't connect to the ethernet with it then
> it is useless to me.  This is also the problem I have with PCLinuxOS as
> it also uses this version of the kernel.  Ubuntu, Sabayon, Slackware,
> etc all use more recent versions so I can use them but I really am
> trying as many distros as I can to find the one I want to stick with.

If you have such new HW, you need to be able to recompile new kernel by
yourself to be safe side.

Curently, Debian unstable/sid has 2.6.22-3-amd64 (2.6.22-6 in testing/lenny):

osamu@snoopy:/lib/modules/2.6.22-3-amd64/kernel/drivers/net/atl1$
modinfo atl1.ko
filename:       atl1.ko
version:        2.0.7
license:        GPL
author:         Attansic Corporation <xiong_huang@attansic.com>, Chris
Snook <csnook@redhat.com>, Jay Cliburn <jcliburn@gmail.com>
srcversion:     72817DF5514C46E3458C9C3
alias:          pci:v00001969d00001048sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
depends:        mii
vermagic:       2.6.22-3-amd64 SMP mod_unload
parm:           int_mod_timer:Interrupt moderator timer (array of int)
parm:           flash_vendor:SPI flash vendor (array of int)

Hmmmm... looks like we have everything for you.

But use of sid or testing comes with some risks.

You should learn Debian well:
 http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html

If you are newbie, I suggest you to get old PCI or PC card ethernet card
and lern sysyem under stable distros.

Osamu