Re: Startup problem: sda/sde

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 03:26:52PM +0100, Pol Hallen wrote:
> I've asus P5B-E motherboard with debian stable.
>
> First 6disks (integrated controller: sata1-sata6) for raid (not implemented
> yet) and boot disk (integrated sata7).
>
> The problem is: sometimes debian probe boot disk (sata7) on sda and the boot
> process is ok (lvm encrypt ask to me the password) , but often debian probe
> boot disk on sde and the startup stop :-////
>
> In the bios of mb I see an option like this: "allow bios discover device -
> allow os discover device".
>
> I tried both but I've the same.. enervating.. problem..
>
> Can I will do?!

Since you have stuff encrypted, I'm assuming that you have /boot
unencrypted on a separate partition not part of LVM.  Presumably grub
boots OK and you get the grub menu.

The problem then is the kernel command line.

Try adding a label to the /boot fs then use the root=LABEL= kernel
command line.  Then the device name which it is assigned does not
matter.

Doug.