Re: nvidia driver problem [Was: new user question: debian on a Thinkpad T61]

Jimmy Wu wrote:
I followed the instructions to install the nvidia drivers the Debian
way from this site:
http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

Every command worked fine, with no error messages.  However, when it
came time to reboot, I get a black screen shortly after the message
that says gdm is starting.  After that, the system stops responding to
any form of input (no tty's either) and the only way I can do anything
is to force shutdown by holding down the powerbutton.

>From my xorg log, it seems like everything is working normally, or at
least I can't make anything out of it.  I've attached both the log and
xorg.conf.

Some possibly relevant system information:
This is a very fresh install of Debian etch 4.0 r2 (stable).  The only
things that have been added since the system was installed are xfce4
along with a bunch of plugins, vim-full, and bash-doc.
Graphics card is Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M, which is listed on the
official Nvidia site as supported.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Jimmy,

I have not yet looked over your files, but try to boot into single user mode (grub screen, normaly the 2nd line) and as root, type "startx" and see if it starts. This will rule in or out gdm.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com