Re: Where do you put your swap partition?

tofu.oni@gmail.com wrote:
I like to put mine on a disk.

Just kidding.  My actual question is, should I put any thought into
where on the disk I place the swap partition?  At the beginning of the
disk?  At the end?  I thought it might be best to have it at the
beginning, immediately followed by root, and with other partitions
after that.  My thinking was that most reads and writes would occur in
root - and probably near the start of the root partition.  So having
the swap partition close by would reduce seek time by a couple of pico
seconds - which should translate to thousands of nanocents per year.

What do you guys think?

On my old memory starved machines, If I have a windows install, I often have it on a separate drive with my linux swap partition after the windows C: and an NTFS partition at the end of the linux drive on which I put my windows swap file.

How ever, these days I usually have enough memory that under Linux I hardly ever swap, only when throwing around big images or if some malfunctioning application eats all my memory, so on my dual boot PCs when I'm running Linux my second drive spins down.

But mostly I don't have a windows install so I just chuck it at the end of the drive as it's not used much.