Re: Changing Ethernet Drivers [Solved]

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:53:47 -0700
Travis Crook <travis@visionsbeyond.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 22:38:11 +0100
> Jörg-Volker Peetz <jvpeetz@web.de> wrote:
>
> > Travis Crook wrote:
> > [...]
> > >>

> > Try to put the module name "r8169" into the file
> > "/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist" before rebooting.
>
> I tried the line "blacklist r8169" and rebooted - the module still
> loaded.

Well, once again, the solution was to boot into Windows, tell it to
behave itself, then boot into linux and the whole world is happy.
Here is the reference:
"As of 27 May 2007, in kernel 2.6.21.3, you may experience the issues
with the r8169 driver if you dual boot Windows on some systems. Windows
by defaults disables the NIC at Windows shutdown time in order to
disable Wake-On-Lan, and this NIC will remain disabled until the next
time Windows turns it on. The r8169 driver in the kernel does not know
how to turn the NIC on from this disabled state; therefore, the device
will not respond, even if the driver loads and reports that the device
is up. To work around this problem, simply enable the feature
"Wake-on-lan after shutdown." You can set this options through Windows'
device manager."

and it's found here:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_RTL8168

Thanks for all of the help and tips!  It's always a learning
experience...

--
Travis Crook
Visions Beyond