fails to make a bootable initramfs

Hello:

I have a root partition on lvm which is encrypted, setup during
installation. When I installed a new kernel (2.6.23-1-686) from the
repositories it fails to create a initramfs that recognizes my root
partition. It fails saying "Begin: Waiting for root filesystem...".
After a few moments it drops me to a shell saying
that /dev/mapper/vg1-root can't be found. When I navigate to /dev/mapper
there is only the control node.

I then moved the valid initrd from the previous kernel out of the way
and created a new initrd for that kernel and it has the same problem! So
form busybox I was able to mount /boot and move the valid initrd.img
back in place and boot up. I am not sure where to start debugging this
problem so any help/advice would be very welcome

Zoho