Re: Few Questions About Debian

Depo Catcher wrote:

> I've played around with this a bit and considering switching over my
> workstation to Debian.
> Currently I use FreeBSD - but the Virtual Machine software I use
> (VMWare) it's supported as well as on Linux.
>
> Few questions I have:
>
> During install there is an option to install to encrypted disk which is
> pretty sweet sounding.
> How does that work, I'm assuming everything but /boot is encrypted? Does
> it use GELI or something else?
> What is the default encryption used and is there any way to change it?
> Does Linux support crypto cards that work with this?

I don't know

> I take it apt-get is the way to maintain packages on Debian? Say I want
> to apply all the security patches [or to get all updates] for my
> version, is there an easy way to do that?

yes, aptitude update and aptitude upgrade

> If a person wanted, could they recompile all packages from source (and
> use optimized complier options) instead of installing from binaries?
sure
./configure
make
make install

> When I start it up (just did base install for some testing) I get a
> bunch of "Starting XXX ... Warning: Fake start-stop =daemon called,
> doing nothing."
> Where XXX is and rc/init job.  What's that about?

I have no idea

> Thanks

I really like debian. I run a net install of debian-testing on my desktop and laptop, and it stays up to date pretty well. If you like lots of daily updates you can try debian unstable. What made my migration easier to debian was first I installed ubuntu and used synaptic to check out what all packages were installed by default on that distro. Then I made a big list of all of those packages that I knew I would need/want installed on my debian system. I ran the net install disk and installed only the standard system files. Once it rebooted and was at the command line I stated plugging away with aptitude installing all my needed apps and libraries. Great stuff.

Sam