Re: removing gnome

On 01/20/08 17:02, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Sun January 20 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
>>> its not that I need the space, I just don't like issues such as the
>>> screensaver, where they were competing against each other..
>>> I had the KDE screensaver configured, yet gnome-screensaver was also
>>> active.
>> Purge gnome-screensaver?
>
> nope, never used purge before.
> # Purge gnome-screensaver
> bash: Purge: command not found
> paulandcilla:/home/pbc# purge gnome-screensaver
> bash: purge: command not found
> paulandcilla:/home/pbc#
>
> ok, I tried it as you wrote it, and no caps..
> oh, wait, you want an aptitude in front.. yeah that works:)

No, actually, I don't.  Long live apt-get!!!

> whats the difference between aptitude remove and aptitude purge? the man page
> seems to... miss explaining it.

"Purge" connotes /more/ than remove.  Deletes /etc config files, I
think.

>> You must have thought of that, so I might have missed your comment.
>>
>>> I'm not sure where else there might be a conflict, I just thought it
>>> would be better without both GDM and KDM around. It will probably hurt
>>> more to try to remove packages, than it will be to troubleshoot issues,
>>> so maybe I better leave well enough alone:)
>> There is no law of nature insisting that you run a display manager.
>>  In fact, people (including non-geeks) function quite well without it.
>
> I have run many window managers, I would run gnome, but I like the KDE apps
> better, and my WIFE is comfortable with it,

So.... you use GNOME & she uses KDE.  What's the problem?

Maybe [xgk]dm doesn't allow that,

>                                              and she HATES when I change
> things!

That which ossifies perishes.

If you log in to the ooooh-scary-black console, put this at the
bottom of her .bashrc file:

if [ "$TERM" == "linux" ]; then
    startx /usr/bin/startkde
    exit
fi

> back in my windowz daze, I ran litestep.. of course, since I grew up with DOS
> 3.11, dosshell and UNIX command line, a window manager is pure fluff:)

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate vegetables!"
unknown