Re: dist-upgrade problem (was Re: /etc/modutils/0keep: line 9: keep: command not found)

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 02:46:31PM -0500, Marty <martyb@ix.netcom.com> was heard to say:
> tom arnall wrote:
>> i attempted the distr-upgrade and after i rebooted did:
>>
>> kloro@debian:~$ uname -r
>> 2.6.16.4
>>
>> so i did the distr-upgrade again. following is the session output. '31
>> not fully installed or removed.' is where it gets interesting:
>>
>> kloro@debian:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> It was doomed from the start.  apt-get does not have the intelligence, as
> do the apt front ends, essential for all but the most trivial upgrades.
> Of those I can only vouch for personal favorite, dselect.

  His problems don't have anything to do with the package manager from
what I've read -- they have to do with wacked out permissions in /etc,
and possibly not having the standard set of etch packages installed (e.g.,
it sounds like he probably doesn't have linux-image-$ARCH on the system).

  Daniel