Re: alsactl names finds nothing - Thanks

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 13:20:37 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 04:59:11PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> > The problem might be that snd-via82xx gets loaded first and assigned
> > index 0. This would block snd-emu10k1 from having that index and ALSA
> > might not handle this situation gracefully. Loading firmware is another
> > thing that can go wrong, although I would not expect to see the EMU10k1
> > module listed at all in that case.
> >
> > Try to add the following two lines to /etc/modprobe.d/sound:
> >
> > alias snd-card-1 snd-via82xx
> > options snd-via82xx index=1
> >
> > Then reboot and check if /proc/asound/cards lists the EMU10k1.
> >

> Thanks Florian, this fixed the problem - Tom

I am glad to hear that it worked. If you ever need to switch to the
onboard soundchip quickly then you can do that in your ~/.asoundrc file
without having to change the system configuration:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/FAQ026

> For the record I also tried Nigel's idea of adding
>
> install snd_via82xx /bin/true
>
> to /etc/modprobe.d/sound but this did nothing (perhaps because he used
> an underscore instead of a hyphen?) - Tom

AFAIK, the underscore and the hyphen/minus are equivalent in module
names for most (all?) intents and purposes.

Sometimes we have cases here in which blacklisting (that would be
"blacklist snd-via82xx" in your case) and/or the /bin/true trick do not
seem to work. A brute-force method to get rid of a cumbersome module is
to delete the corresponding *.ko file in /lib/modules/$(uname -r) and to
remove it form the initrd if necessary.

          Florian   |