Re: Re: which to use: ext3, JFS, XFS, ReiserFS? [Was: new userquestion: debian on a Thinkpad T61]

On Jan 19, 2008 9:39 AM, Andrew Sackville-West
<andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 02:35:25PM +0100, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> >
> > But sometimes bugs in applications can cause a complete freeze of
> > X, incl. keyboard and mouse. It happens to me about once a year,
> > unfortunately also yesterday evening. In such a case there is
> > nothing you can do but pull the plug.
>
> Not true. Learn this:
>
> http://www.developertutorials.com/tutorials/linux/magic-sysrq-050503/page1.html
>
> I haven't had a post-freeze fsck since I started Alt-sysrq-s before
> pulling the plug.

If X eats it hard enough (and it does for me about once a month to
once every two weeks), the crash will make the magic system request
key not so magical.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca