Re: alsactl names finds nothing

On Saturday 19 January 2008 15:35, Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 01:56:46PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 08:23:07 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > > Suddenly no sound.  Alsamixer shows it is using the motherboard
> > > soundcard and the speakers are connected to the Creative Labs pci card.
> > > Alsaconf says it is not needed with Lenny but it will find the Creative
> > > Labs sound card.  Unfortunately it also kills dsp.  alsactl names finds
> > > nothing.  I am using the latest 2.6.22 kernel image.  I have both the
> > > 486 and the 686 versions.  Same problem with both.
> >
> > If alsaconf configures the correct card and your only problem is the
> > missing /dev/dsp then this should be fixable with a simple "modprobe
> > snd_pcm_oss" after running alsaconf. You might also have to add
> > snd_pcm_oss to /etc/modules to keep dsp after the next reboot.

Thomas he say.
> This did not solve the problem.
>
> > If the above does not help you then we need to know the output of the
> > following commands:
> >
> > lspci -nn | egrep -i 's(ou)?nd|audio|media'
> >
> > lsmod | grep snd
> >
> > cat /proc/asound/cards
> >
> > cat /dev/sndstat
> >
> > cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound

Thomas
> Here are the responses to the above commands

<some snipping>

> Dragon:~# cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [V8235          ]: VIA8233 - VIA 8235
>                       VIA 8235 with ALC650E at 0xec00, irq 11

> Card config:
> VIA 8235 with ALC650E at 0xec00, irq 11
>
> Audio devices:
> 0: VIA 8235 (DUPLEX)

> Dragon:~# cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound
> alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
> options snd-emu10k1 index=0
> Dragon:~# exit
>
> Script done on Sat 19 Jan 2008 09:31:02 AM EST
>
> > --
> > Regards,            | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
> >           Florian   |

Hi Thomas. I can see a couple of ways around your problem from the above
output you have provided.

1st. If you are not bothered about the onboard soundcard being used, you can
add a line to /etc/modprobe.d/sound as below.

install snd_via82xx /bin/true

This will send the module to true, and it will be ignored. As you already have
alias, and options lines in /etc/modprobe.d/sound for snd-emu10k1, a reboot,
a doing a cat /proc/asound/cards (hopefully) will now show the audigy card as
card0.

I've had a lot of these sorts of problems, particularly with my usb midi
keyboard which uses snd-usb-audio. USB starts early in the boot process, and
usually I find that before setting options lines, the midi keyboard (which
isn't a soundcard) is being set as card0. Similar problems with snd-bt8xx. A
notorious module, and known to grab card0, which is often why you find
default options lines setting it as card2 (my TV card uses this for capturing
sound)

2nd workaround.

From your cat /proc/asound/cards, the snd_via82xx module is recognised as
card0, but your /etc/modules.d/sound also has snd-emu10k1 as card0, as below.

Dragon:~# cat /proc/asound/cards
  0 [V8235          ]: VIA8233 - VIA 8235
                       VIA 8235 with ALC650E at 0xec00, irq 11

Dragon:~# cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound
 alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
 options snd-emu10k1 index=0

So as root in a text editor make a couple of changes in /etc/modprobe.d/sound,
as below.

Add the following line:
options snd_via82xx index=1

Change the alias line for snd-emu10k1, so that it reads:
alias snd-card-1 snd-emu10k1

I'm not booted into Debian at the mo, and have forgotten the incantation to
stop and start alsa, but a reboot will see if this works.

All the best.

Nigel.

btw Florian, apologies for poking my nose in on this thread.