Re: Server fails to boot after upgrade

Quoth Thomas Damgaard:
> The IDE activity LED does not blink a lot after I turn the power on,
> and I cannot hear the disk head moving. So I am figuring that it fails
> just after GRUB or something.

GRUB would actually want to read from the disk. After initial BIOS
bootstrapping, the master boot sector of your HD is read - usually, there'd be a
bootloader for GRUB, which then mounts the filesystem it knows (was pointed to
by the original install) and then boots the real bootloader (what you can see on
the screen) because the MBR is usually waaay to small to hold modern
bootloaders. All this involves quite a bit of disk activity.

> I do not have any monitor or a keyboard, so I cannot see exactly what
> is happening, but I have taken the primary hard drive out and put it
> in an USB enclosure, so that I can mount the root filesystem of the
> server on my laptop.

That doesn't really make your life easier. I think a monitor (at the very least)
would be a nice idea...

> I can then chroot into the filesystem and do stuff. I have tried
> installing an older kernel image package. But this did not help.

Did you try to re-install GRUB? If you say that it doesn't read from the HD, I
think it's unable to read the/a boot loader - so you might try reinstalling.

> My /boot/grub/menu.lst is here:
> http://thomasdamgaard.dk/p/P1050.html

looks fine to me. But maybe the MBR isn't set up properly...

Aleks