Re: which to use: ext3, JFS, XFS, ReiserFS? [Was: new user question: debian on a Thinkpad T61]

Jimmy Wu wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to decide on which file systems to use for a Debian
install on a personal laptop.  It's a Thinkpad T61 with one 160 GB HD.

Hello Jimmy,

I have found:

Xfs is best for large file sizes, if that's what you are dealing with - graphics, and the ilk;

Reiserfs is best for smaller file sizes;

Ext3 is best if you are dealing with a mixture of both and has the added security factor of defaulting to Ext2 if it fails. Although I have never had reason to find out.
Regards,

--
David Palmer
Linux User - #352034