Re: Change default directory in a package

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 10:41:07AM -0300, Rodrigo Tavares wrote:
>  When I install a program in Windows, it's need to
>  set  one directory.
>
>  I would like make the same with packages debian.
>
>  How I can do it ?
>
>  Is there any tool for this work ?

That's not how unix's work.  Packages follow the fhs (see man hier(7)).

The other other place would be to recompile it yourself and put it in
/usr/local (but it still goes into /usr/local/bin, with libs in
/usr/local/lib), or you could put it in /opt with /opt/[package]/usr/bin
and /opt/[package]/usr/lib.

So the question is why would you go to this effort.  You'd have to redo
all the work every time it needs upgrading.

Doug.