Re: Etch to Lenny, two kernel options now, why?

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 01:39:51PM +0100, ???????????????????? ??. ???????????????? wrote:
> Quoth Andre:
> >
> > I recently moved to Lenny from Etch via dist-upgrade. Now I got two
> > kernel options in grub available for boot. Doesn't a dist-upgrade mean
> > that the old kernel is quite useless with the new system (with all its
> > new libraries and stuff)? If so, how do I get rid off Etch's leftovers?
>
> No, the Kernel doesn't depend on those libraries. Evenything you need to boot a
> machine is in /boot and /lib/modules/`uname -r`. From then on, any init-process
> may get called, which will most likely depend on _a lot_ of libs, but that's
> fine.

There's and advantage to having some kind of static-linked shell (at
least).  There used to be busybox static and now there's sash.  You
would start it (and bypass the standard lib-dependant init scripts with
a kernel command line that contains:

init=/bin/sash

Doug.