Re: Etch to Lenny, two kernel options now, why?

On Wed January 16 2008, Александър Л. Димитров wrote:
> > I have a question about this, please.
> > I have an NVIDIA card, and after some updates I get the black screen of
> > death, and I have to change my video driver to nv and restart X.
> > If I reboot into an older kernel, will my nvidia driver work? It never
> > fails, I need to use the computer for something when that happens, and I
> > don't have the time right then to rebuild my video driver with the
> > current setup..
>
> The nvidia driver actually consists of a kernel module in
> /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko and some binary
> drivers elsewhere - thus it is kernel-specific. It has to be compiled
> against *this* kernel (the one running) and nothing else, or it won't work
> - that's why you're getting BSOD when you restart the machine into a new
> kernel - every kernel keeps its modules in its own subdir in /lib/modules -
> which is a Good Thing ;-).

I guess I didn't ask the right question.
ok, say I am running this:
 2.6.22-2-686
and nvidia is working. I get updates, and reboot into  2.6.22-3-686 .
nvidia doesn't work.
can I reboot and use the other choice:
 2.6.22-2-686

and will nvidia still work?

I keep the NVIDIA-*.run files on my system, so I can recompile them into the
new setup, but sometimes it doesn't work, and sometimes I don't have time to
mess with it, so my question is:
 can I reboot into the older kernel and will the nvidia driver work?

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800