Open Office and German / Japanese Input

Hi,

Every now and then I have to write something in German or Japanese.  And
normally this entails about one week of trials to make Open Office work
again with "scim" or "uim" (both input methods).  When finally
everything works, it is normally too late for my letter but there is
still time enough to give Open Office a chance to not work anymore when
needed again.

I am using debian sid with a en_GB.UTF-8 local.
When writing Japanese I normally use "uim" together with "Anthy".
When writing German I use "uim" with "m17n-latn-pre" which allows to
input German "Umlaute" with an english keyboard by entering something
like "a, "o, "u, ...

Currently none of them work in Open Office.  (but - with lots of crashes
though - sometimes do so in "evolution": 日本語、たとえば、und
glücklicherweise auch Deutsch mit Üs, äs und Ös :)

A while ago I managed to make Open Office work with scim using the
following script:

  #!/bin/sh

  # setting Japanese utf8 locale
  locale=ja_JP.utf8
  LANG=$locale;     export LANG
  LANGUAGE=$locale; export LANGUAGE
  LC_CTYPE=$locale; export LC_CTYPE

  # using scim as input method
  XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM;  export XMODIFIERS
  GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"; export GTK_IM_MODULE

  # start scim if not already running
  if [ -z "$(ps -A | grep -i scim)" ]; then
   scim -d ### &> /dev/null &
  fi

  # execute command given on environment
  $@

  # fin.

but even this fails now.

Any idea how to make Open Office work with "uim" or "scim" again?

Thanks, Dietrich, grateful for any help!