Re: playing a midi

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:

Folk,

timidity is installed.  Yet when iceweasel opens
http://www.contemplator.com/ and when VLC opens
a local midi file, there is silence.

Is there a way for VLC to recognize and play a
midi?

How should iceweasel play a midi?  iceweasel>
Edit>Preferences>Content>File Types>Manage has
buttons for Remove Action and for Change Action
but nothing for Add Action.

Should I be using another midi package?

Thanks,          ... Peter E.

Desktops.OpenDoc  http://carnot.yi.org/

Hi, I see the same problem, here is what I did:

# apt-get install -y mozplugger timidity
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  freepats
Suggested packages:
  pmidi
The following NEW packages will be installed
  freepats mozplugger timidity
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 593kB/29.6MB of archives.
After unpacking 35.9MB of additional disk space will be used.
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
  freepats mozplugger timidity
Authentication warning overridden.
Get: 1 http://mirrors.kernel.org testing/main mozplugger 1.8.0-4 [49.8kB]
Get: 2 http://mirrors.kernel.org testing/main timidity 2.13.2-18 [543kB]
Fetched 593kB in 1s (402kB/s)
.. etc
#

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60

QUOTE:

By adding

TIM_ALSASEQ=true
TIM_ALSASEQPARAMS="-Os"

to /etc/default/timidity after installing timidity itself, you can enjoy sounds in all midi applications including kmid and rosegarden. Perhaps a better result can also be obtained using fluidsynth but I don't know.

--

Linked plug-in (i use FF):

.mozilla/plugins$ ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/mozplugger.so .
.mozilla/plugins$

--

Restarted (firefox) and went to that page again:

http://www.contemplator.com/

---

Went to:
http://www.contemplator.com/folk.html