Re: Trusted computing [WAS new user question: debian on a Thinkpad T61]

On Friday 11 January 2008 22:14, Jimmy Wu wrote:
> On Jan 10, 2008 12:31 PM, David Brodbeck <brodbd@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> > On Jan 9, 2008, at 5:27 PM, Mike Bird wrote:
> > > You might want to make the recovery CDs and save the recovery
> > > partition.
> > > In this sad world, being able to restore/reinstall Vista will
> > > dramatically
> > > improve resale value when you replace the laptop in a few years.
> >
> > Although maybe not as much as if it had XP. ;)
>
> I just got the ThinkPad T61 laptop today.
> [TPM description]
> So, I have two questions:
> (1) Is this really as scary as the article makes it out to be? (in
> other words, should I be worried that this is on my computer?)
> (2) Does Debian support TPM chips? What is the community's take on the
> issue? My take is that TPM does have some security merits, but it also has
> a lot of potential for abuse.
> Google turned up these results of the beginnings of TPM support in Linux:
> http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/linux/15574/ibm-brings-trusted-computing
>-linux http://lwn.net/Articles/144681/

  I have Debian "etch" on a T61, with the TPM disabled.  I forget
whether I manually shut it off in the BIOS, or if I just ignored it
entirely, but avoiding it is very simple.

  If you're dual-booting, or if you actually want TPM, that's a
different story, of course.

  FWIW, I also blitzed the Windows install, reformatting the
entire HD.

				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net