Apache and Page Lengths (OT?)

This may be more of a Java OR an Apache issue, but it looks like it
might fall into some nether region or apply to servers directly.  I've
put up questions in a couple specific forums, but I'm asking here in
case it's in a gray area between the two.

I'm reading web pages served by Apache on a website and I'm using a Java
program.  I notice that there are times when I try to get the length of
the page content from Java and can't get it.  In every case, this is
when the URL includes POST data.  Is there some reason I'm not getting
a content length back?  Is it because the page is generated on the fly
so when Apache starts posting the data, it's still waiting for more
info from the program generating the web page?

Thanks for any insight into this.

Hal