Re: NTFS and discover1

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 10:23:49 +0100, Per Tunedal Debian wrote:
> Hi,
> as a new user I am puzzled about the inability of my Debian installation
> to handle NTFS-partitions from start. I installed in expert mode and
> chose to install support for NTFS.

Your system is able to handle the NTFS partitions (full support for
reading, limited support for writing), it is just not (yet) configured
to mount these partitions automatically during boot.

> The NTFS-partitions are shown alright if I click the My Computer icon on
> my Gnome desktop. But they cannot be mounted when I click at the icons.
> I get an error message from pmount stating that they cannot be mounted
> because they are not detachable. (The partitions are on fixed drives.)

Normal users are not allowed to mount devices by default. Keep in mind
that the UNIX philosophy is modelled for a multi-user system; under
these conditions it makes sense that a random user cannot mess around at
the system level unless explicitly authorized by the administrator.

This philosophy can be somewhat confusing or awkward for single-user
computers. Pmount was written to alleviate that, but it works only for
removable devices in its default configuration. (If you run "man
pmount" and "man fstab" in a terminal you will get more details.)

> I note that the NTFS-partitions are mounted for reading if I boot with a
> KNOPPIX CD. I searched the documentation and found that KNOPPIX uses
> kudzu (and not discover1) for hardware detection. Synaptic doesn't offer
> kudzu for Debian. hwinfo uses parts of kudzu, but cannot be used for
> hardware detection.

I don't think this has anything to do with hardware detection. Knoppix
mounts every partition it can find because that makes the most sense for
a live CD.

> Have I overlooked some settings during the installation? Or are there
> any flaws in discover1?
>
> It might be useful to add some instructions for NTFS in the installation
> manual.

Truth be told, I don't remember if the installer has an option to
auto-configure the mounting of NTFS partitions. Anyway, your system
seems to work fine, therefore it should be sufficient to do what is
explained here:

http://www.linux-faqs.com/faq/misc/ntfs.php#4.0

          Florian   |