Re: OT: dying disk - data recovery recommendations

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:31:57 -0500, "Douglas A. Tutty"
<dtutty@porchlight.ca> said:

> Perhaps, I've never needed to go that far.  The one time I thought I had
> a hard drive go bad and put it into another computer, it didn't get any
> errors on boot.  I just fsck'ed it and it was fine.  Turned out to be a
> hardware problem on the origional computer.
>
> My only experience with a laptop hard drive is on my IBM Thinkpad 600E.
> On that, you don't have to tear apart the unit:  one screw releases a
> cover and you slide out the hard drive.

Thinkpads, Toshibas, Dells, etc have been easy for hard disk
replacement. However, Macs involve quite a few screws with weird heads
to open them. This Powebook G4 had 19+12 screws!!

> So I've never actually needed dd_rescue so I don't know if it would be
> better.  As long as its not worse, then just that.  The important thing
> as I understand it is to get an image of the drive once then power off
> the drive.  Do all your fixing on a copy of the filesystem image.  Once
> you know what that needs, you can do it to the drive itself.
>
> Doug.

I connected the old hard disk via firewire to the powerbook and compiled
ddrescue to run on the G4 (new HDD and 10.4.11). It is just giving I/O
error in the syslog. I can't even be mounted. ddrescue has read 3MB in
the last half an hour and rescue zero bytes :(

Any other suggestions?
/KS
--
  KS