function of xorg.conf in sid?

I recently posted about not being able to get full resolution of my Portege 4010 with dpkg-reconfigure. I found an example of xorg.conf sections which solved my resolution problem but:!!!

I still don't know why 'dpkg-reconfigure -p<high|medium|low> xserver-org' gives me no opportunity to change any video parameters. I saw an Ubuntu post suggesting that xorg.conf wasn't completely necessary and indeed I was able to run my system at default resolution without it.

TIA for any more information,

Paul Scott