Barcode scanner via USB

I have a WASP pen scanner that seems to be recognized by the kernel:

    usbcore: registered new interface driver hiddev
    input: Marson  Wasp Barcode USBi as /class/input/input3
    input: USB HID v1.00 Keyboard [Marson  Wasp Barcode USBi] on
	usb-0000:00:03.3-1.7
    usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
    drivers/hid/usbhid/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver

and creates a device in dev:

    /dev/input/by-id/usb-Marson_Wasp_Barcode_USBi-event-kbd

but I'm not sure how to read from it. Where is the ASCII output from the
unit going, theoretically?

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
	-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"