Re: Absolutely cannot write to USB drive

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 21:33:03 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 09/01/2008, Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
> > It is strange that hal isn't mounting it. Is hal running properly (try
> > lshal).
>
> I got lots of output from that command, so I assume that HAL is running.

The amount of information is a bit overwhelming, isn't it? It might help
to run "lshal --monitor" and plug in the problematic device. That should
narrow it down a bit. Maybe the device is not recognized as "removable"
or a policy blocks the automounting. (daemon.log might also be worth a
look.)

> > You can mount in userspace using pmount /dev/sdb1. It will then mount
> > under /media/sdb1 with read-write privileges for the user that mounted
> > the drive. If you want a user to be able to read-write with a
> > root-mount, make sure you state the proper rights in the fstab-entry.
> > Make a group that is allowed to read-write to the device, and add
> > /dev/sdb1 /media/usb auto rw,users,noauto,gid=xxx,umask=007 0 0
> > with xxx replaced by the id of that group (or give system wide
> > read-write privileges by stating umask=000)
> > As fat doesn't support a proper security-model, you have to specify that
> > yourself. Else only root can read.
> > Good luck!
>
> Thanks, I did not know about pmount. I'll remove the fstab entry and
> use pmount from now on.

When things go wrong with pmount it is usually because the device is not
recognized as removable. In that case you can whitelist the device in
/etc/pmount.allow.

> I'd still like to get HAL mounting this disk. I installed and maintain
> a dozen or so friends' ubuntu, and if they ever come across this I'd
> like to have a solution ready.

If the output of "lshal --monitor" does not provide enough clues by
itself, it might help to look the existing .fdi files in /etc/hal/fdi/
and /usr/share/hal/fdi/. There are a lot of things that can be tuned
with HAL. If necessary you can run your own scripts via a HAL callout
whenever the device is plugged in. The HAL specifications are in

/usr/share/doc/hal-doc/spec/hal-spec.html

which is part of package hal-doc. (I have only played around with HAL a
little bit so far and I don't know anything about Gnome, therefore I
cannot make more specific suggestions.)

          Florian   |