Re: How to filter out mailing list spam with bogofilter

On Jan 9, 2008 3:59 PM, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@tiscali.fr> wrote:
I was trying to get a resolution to the problem of how to set up bogofilter to
deal with mailing list spam, not deliberately attract spammers. A link to a
known mailing list that wasn't too bothered about spam on their list would
have been usefull though, as the Debian guys have resolved the spam flood
problem.

I didn't know that's what you were looking for; now I do.  You rushed to the assumption that I was trying to be obnoxious, or at least that's how your reply came across, while my message was intended to be nothing of the sort.

I don't believe I am wound up. Some time back we had an influx of spam on the
list, and I thought I'd fixed it within bogofilter. The spam mails to the
list were stopped by the Debian guys, so it was difficult to know if what I
had done had fixed it or not. The latest flood of spam from the list showed
that I hadn't fixed it, as it was all turning up in my Debian mailbox. Some
folks were indicating that they used bogofilter, which is why I posted this
question.

I understand this, but your reaction was akin to a slap in the face after I simply tried to be somewhat humorous while providing what I thought was a helpful suggestion.  I ask you to reread my post in this light.

Also please don't top post. Reading an answer before a question is not easy.

Noted.  (I usually do this, though I am admittedly a bit lazy today.)

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com