Re: aptitude reinstall from file contained package names?

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 02:37:30PM +0100, Paul Csanyi wrote:
> I do on my home server
> aptitude search ~i >installed_packages
>
> Now I want to reinstall all these packages listed in
> 'installed_packages' file, with aptitude.
>
> How can I do that?
>
> I tried:
> # aptitude reinstall <installed_packages
>
> but nothing happen.
>
> Any advice will be appreciated!

I've never tried that automatically with aptitude and checking the man
page suggests that its not possible.

You can save and restore in that with with dpkg --get-selection and
--set-selections options.

What I do is do the aptitude search '~i!~M' which gives me a list of
packages that are manually, not automatically installed.  Then when I do
a reinstall, I manually choose the packages interactivly.  I'm on
dial-up so I do it in logica chunks: basic CLI apps, basic X system,
mail system, graphical browser, etc.

If what you asked for really worked, then you would loose the main
benefit of aptitude: keeping track of shifting dependancies and cruft
controll.  Everything would appear to be automatically installed.

Doug.