Re: new user question: debian on a Thinkpad T61

On Tue January 8 2008 19:40:43 Jimmy Wu wrote:
> A question for Thinkpad Debian users:
>
> I will be getting a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 in a few days, which will
> become my primary computer for school/home etc.  I want to run Debian
> etch on it, but am relatively new to Debian and Linux (I started with
> Ubuntu about 7 months ago).  I have a few questions before I wipe
> Vista off the laptop, specifically about the Thinkpad software that
> comes preloaded.  Does Debian provide similar support for stuff like
> the "Client Security" that manages the fingerprint reader, and other
> stuff the volume buttons, the Fn keys, the blue "ThinkVantage" button?
>  Also are there any glaring hardware issues I should be aware of?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,

Check out thinkwiki.org.  More info there than I can summarize.

This email sent from a new Lenovo T61 with about 75% of the h/w
currently configured and tested.  I kept the recovery partition,
shrank the Vista partition (needed for a game) and assigned most
of the space to a mostly Lenny install with Sid xserver for nvidia.
There are patches available to get sound working in 2.6.22 but I'll
simply wait for 2.6.23.  You may have difficulty getting some h/w
to work in Etch.  (Today's Sid nvidia-kernel-source has a bug and
needs to be unbzip2'd and untarred before m-a can auto-install.)

--Mike Bird