'input / output error' when using ntfs-3g on Sid-based Helix Live CD

I'm having some weird issues with Helix (a Sid / Knoppix based distribution).  For whatever reason, I periodically get an "input/output error" while a disk is mounted, and the only way to fix it is to umount and then mount again via ntfs-3g.

Here's a more detailed list of what I've been doing.

So, I mount with ntfs

ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /mnt/bigusb/

Once I see that ok, then I create folders and files in that mount point.  After a while, however, something dies, and if I do an "ls", I'll get "input/output error", and I have to

umount /dev/sdb1

and if says the device is busy, then I close whatever other thing (usually LinEn or another terminal window) that might be accessing it.

Once it dismounts, then I try it again with ntfs-3g.

I've never had this problem on any other implementation of ntfs-3g (on Knoppix or on the Gentoo-based System Rescue CD), and I'm wondering how to best narrow down the problem.

i.e.

(1) quirks with ntfs-3g?
(2) quirks with LinEn (Encase imaging tool)?
(3) hard drive errors?

In one case, I simply took out the hard drive, formatted in Windows XP (e.g. format e: /fs:ntfs /q), popped it back in, remounted, and all was ok for a while.  Perhaps there is a "better" way to do this in the Debian / Linux environment?

Thanks