Still GNOME trouble

Hello folks,

I still can't resolve the following promlems I'm having with GNOME:

1. gdm doesn't honor non-English language settings although
   the locales exist and are offered in gdm's language
   menu

2. The splash screen persists for about a minute after logging in, with
   the word "nautilus" at the bottom

3. Logouts at first don't work at all and then, after a minute or so,
   you're kicked out of the desktop without warning.

Maybe this is done deliberately to make GNOME feel more like Windows, but I resent it. Are these known issues, or should I file bugs?

I'm running identical distros at home and at wordk (sarge), but these problems only appear at work.

Thanks,
--D.