Blurry X11 fonts in Lenny after update

I recently updated my laptop running lenny and the X11 fonts became
blurry, kind of clumsy looking. The GNOME appearence preferences do
nothing. I use XOrg, the standard 100dpi xfonts, ATI Radeon card with
the fglrx driver, just stardard stuff. I installed xfs to see if it
helps, but not.

This is the second time I encounter this problem. The last time was when
upgrading from Ubuntu Breezy to Dapper. I could never solve the problem,
and after much cursing I went back to sarge. Few seem to have seen this
problem, and it's perhaps related to the graphics card, but it's
certainly related to a xserver-xorg update in lenny. I saw this problem
right after the update and reboot.

Has anybody seen this? Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Ricardo