Workaround for bug 44477: xserver-xorg: "Xorg crashes with nvidia proprietary driver (during allocation)"

Hi,

In trying to solve my mouse foibles (previous post) I upgraded xserver-xorg-core on my Sid box.

That upgrades xorg to 7.3.

Starting X with the proprietary Nvidia driver 9631 one runs into bug 44477.

The answer that was given to that bug ("don't use that driver") gets tiresome: I don't use 9631 because I like to, but because I have to, and we can go OT on that: nv does not compare to nvidia in most situations but the simplest.

For those getting the message:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): ============= WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING =============
(EE) NVIDIA(0): This server has a video driver ABI version of 2.0 but this
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     driver is designed to work with versions before 2.0.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Please check http://www.nvidia.com/ for driver updates or
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     downgrade to an X server with a supported driver ABI.

a reported workaround is starting X with the option -ignoreABI.

I'll report back if that is true.

Hugo