Moving from WEP to WPA

Hi

I have a relatively old (P3) Compaq Evo N600C laptop which I picked up
from somewhere, in which I have installed a circa-2002 PCMCIA Buffalo
802.11a/b wireless LAN card which uses the orinoco driver in the kernel.
I know that this combination of kernel, machine and laptop work since
it's been working since I first started using the laptop several months
ago, while my wireless LAN was configured to use WEP.

However, I recently replaced my wireless router with a newer one which
does 802.11g as well as a/b and supports WPA as well as WEP. I made the
necessary additions to my /etc/network/interfaces file on both my
laptops. My Toshiba laptop made the switch from WEP to WPA with the
absolute minimum of fuss. My Compaq did not.

Thinking that maybe I'd screwed up the setup somehow (I previously
upgraded the Compaq to testing, then changed my mind and went back to
etch -- result: a mess) I have just COMPLETELY WIPED AND RE-INSTALLED
ETCH from the current dvd .iso images on debian.org. I have, as a
result, a completely clean, unsullied installation. I chose to leave the
network unconfigured at install time after discovering that the
installation process doesn't support WPA, and instead configured it
manually after install. I have wpasupplicant installed. But when I try
to bring up the wireless network interface, I get this:

<START OF GENERATED OUTPUT>
kayo:~# ifup eth1
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 7 value 0x1 - ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not
supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODE]: Invalid argument
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODE]: Invalid argument
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODE]: Invalid argument
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODE]: Invalid argument
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 4 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not
supported
WEXT auth param 5 value 0x1 - Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client
V3.0.4
Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth1/00:02:2d:4f:8a:1e
Sending on   LPF/eth1/00:02:2d:4f:8a:1e
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 16
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14
No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
kayo:~#

<END OF GENERATED OUTPUT>

Now my interfaces file looks like this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth1 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid <My SSID>
wpa-psk <My PSK, a 13-character alphanumeric code>
wpa-group CCMP,AES
wpa-pairwise CCMP,AES

auto eth1

This is the same on both laptops (except on the Toshiba, it's eth2 as
eth0 is a wired Ethernet on both machines and on the Toshiba eth1 is a
ethernet over IEEE1394 which I don't use). I've checked that the SSID
and the PSK are correct. I don't get any of those "Operation Not
Supported" or "Invalid Argument" messages on my Toshiba, which is also
running etch and is running the same kernel (stock debian 2.6.18-5 i386
kernel) as the Compaq laptop.

Clearly, however, something is different -- anyone able to help me
figure out what?

Thanks

Mark