Is everyone's system "apt-get -qq update"ing every day?

As posted at http://bugs.debian.org/457193

Am I missing something obvious, or...

$ less /etc/cron.daily/apt
check_stamp()
{
   stamp="$1"
   interval="$2"

   if [ $interval -eq 0 ]; then
       return 1
   fi
UpdateInterval=0
DownloadUpgradeableInterval=0
eval $(apt-config shell UpdateInterval
APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists DownloadUpgradeableInterval
APT::Periodic::Download-Upgradeable-Packages)
UPDATE_STAMP=/var/lib/apt/periodic/update-stamp
if check_stamp $UPDATE_STAMP $UpdateInterval; then
   if apt-get -qq update 2>/dev/null; then

$ less /etc/apt/apt.conf
APT::Cache-Limit 20000000;

As you can see, I haven't enabled the perodic updates in apt.conf, but
the check_stamp function returns true if the interval is set to 0,
which it is by default (UpdateInterval=0).  So "if check_stamp" will
return true, and it will then run "apt-get -qq update", even though I
haven't enabled it.  And, in fact, if I disable it in apt.conf, it
will still run it.

Is it just me or is it strange that no one has noticed this before?
Doesn't this mean that just about every Debian computer on the
Internet is running "apt-get -qq update" every day?  Isn't this a
waste of bandwidth?