Re: failure booting lvm volume group over encrypted disk

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 08:29:30AM -0800, Towncat wrote:
> On Jan 1, 11:00 pm, Towncat <towncat.town...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to make a bootable backup disk based on <a href=http://
> > linuxgazette.net/140/kapil.html>this howto</a>.
> >
> > The backup is on an external usb-sata drive. There is an sdc1
> > partition that is not used, a small sdc2 for boot, unencrypted, and an
> > sdc3 encrypted. On this there is a volume group, with two lv-s, one
> > for root and one for swap.
> >
> > When booting the original system, I can open the encrypted disk, but I
> > need to restart lvm for the system to find the volume group on it. I
> > can also mount the lv-s.
> >
> > When I try to boot the backup system, it loads the initramfs, and I
> > get this message:
> >
> > /dev/mapper/vg_externalsata_2-root does not exist.
> >
> > Looking at /proc/modules shows that the dm_crypt module is not loaded
> > (although it seems to be included in the initramfs), which I think
> > might be the problem.
> >
> > Any ideas? Did someone use the same howto with success?
> >

> Anyone have a hint maybe? I don't even have a clue where to look for
> the error...

What is it you hope this backup disk to do?  Why can't you use the
debian-install CD in rescue mode to boot up the system in the event of a
boot failure?   Why do backups need to be bootable?  Personally, I put
my backups in a tarball (spit to fit on each piece of media) and pipe it
through openssl to encrypt it.

To restore from bare-metal, I do a basic reintall then retreive the
tarball pieces, cat them together in /var/local/bacup, unencrypt it,
then untarball it to its directory, then move things around with mc or
rsync.

My size needs are modest: it all fits on one 4 GB USB stick (set up to
boot per the hd-media installer manual instructions) or on a small set
of CDs or one DVD.

Doug.