Re: gnome won't uninstall because I messed up dpkg by mixing and matching apt-get and aptitude incorrectly (used to be Re: upgrading in sid)

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 12/31/07 15:48, charlie derr wrote:
[snip]
Of course, I would do all this from the (real) console, not a GNOME
terminal window.
you're just chicken :-]

Real Men use the console.  I'm not sure what Real Women use.

Yeah, I used to think that way too. But I find that a full-featured X environment is definitely preferrable to the command-line when I have an option (yeah I *can* do everything from a single console if I have to (as long as screen and emacs are installed), but I'm a lot more efficient with a mouse and graphics, etc...). I'm at the point where I really don't believe that very many folks are actually browsing the internet regularly with a text-only browser from a command line. But who knows, maybe there're more Real Men out there than I'm guessing...

(i'm still in the same original openbox session I started in a couple
days ago (my one concession was to not do this from my usual busy
(50-100 application windows spread across 4 desktops) KDE session))

i did take the extra step of doing my upgrade from within a screen
session (inside konsole, not gnome-terminal)

Lastly, I'd *never* use aptitude.
It appears (to me at least) that that's an irrational bias you have
there.

Irrational?  I was last irrational in... in... well, it's been a
*long* time since I've been irrational.

aptitude (and wajig) likes to be more than slightly aggressive in
what else it wants to remove when you remove a "top level" (not
meta-) package.

ahh, right, I do remember that argument being used (in favor of refusing to switch out apt-get for aptitude in general), but I never really bought it -- first of all, I found it helpful to have packages pruned out when I probably never used them, and for the odd case where something I wanted was removed, I never minded simply reinstalling once I realized it was missing -- also, my understanding is that this is a configurable option that can be set in some config file to act any way one wants (the problem was the people were complaining about aptitude's default setting being problematic -- seemed like a really nitpicky complaint to me if it's actually a tuneable parameter and not hard-coded to lock one in to that behavior)

Recent versions of apt-get strike a nice balance by listing the
packages that become orphanable by a "remove", and helpfully
suggests running "apt-get autoremove".  And just "install" the ones
you want to keep, so that apt-get stops pestering/reminding you to
autoremove them.

Do you really feel like apt-get is fully supported? The last things I remember seeing from developers on the lists (not even very recently) seemed to indicate that use of apt-get is now (and has been for some time) deprecated. Of course, if you're not running sid/unstable, that might not yet be true for the version you're using, but...

	be well,
		~c