Re: Linux kernel image 2.6.23-1 + sound card yamaha YMF-754

On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 13:52:32 -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:
> On 12/31/07, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 09:40:25AM -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Maybe the problem is not with the hardware itself, but with some
> > > firmware issue, as indicated by dmesg (firmware request failed).

> > > Did something particularly special changed with kernel 2.6.23-1, which
> > > might be 2.6.23-2 instead according to aptitude (reading from aptitude
> > > linux-image-2.6.23-1-686, version 2.6.23-2)?
> >
> > I think I recall a discussion on d-devel about licence issues with some
> > firmwares in the kernel. Probably that's why they got removed. You
> > already solved your problem, but have a look in the non-free repo for
> > any firmware package. If you can't find anything file a RFP bug.

[...]

> Does RFP stand for "request for package"?

Yes, it does.

> Any ways, do you think a
> package is necessary for firmware downloading?  ipw2100 and ipw2200
> also require firmware download, and I think they do not have any
> package for that purpose, am I wrong (if I am, please let me know,
> since I have an ipw2100 card under a dell laptop)?

I think it is impossible for Debian to ship the firmware itself, due to
its license.

> Maybe documenting
> what's needed for YMF sound cards to work is what's missing, :)...

I tried to add information about obtaining firmware to the ALSA page of
the Debian wiki (based also on your's and Hugo's contributions to our
earlier discussion), but this page is set to "immutable".

> BTW, I didn't find anything to YMF sound cards firmware under any
> repository (well, I found under contrib, alsa-firmware-loaders, but
> it's of no use for the purpose of downloading and updating YMF
> firmware I guess)...

It seems to me that the ALSA project is on somewhat shaky legal ground
with their distribution of these firmware blobs. This is problematic for
Debian, even for "non-free".

          Florian   |